Home > categories > Construction & Real Estate > Plasterboard > how can i tell if my wall is plasterboard, plaster, or drywall?

how can i tell if my wall is plasterboard, plaster, or drywall?

we want to put up hooks to hold the rod for curtains, but aren't sure what screws to use to keep the hooks in place. also, i'm thinking it might be plaster, but what are the options to use to help the screws stay firmly in the wall? the last time i tried this on a wall, the screws ended up coming out of the wall later and it was easy to just pull them out. any helpful advice is greatly appreciated.


Plasterboard and drywall both mean the same thing, so does sheetrock for that matter. Drywall is the term most people use. I wouldn't be surprised if you aren't using plaster to mean the same thing, although it's not, but plaster hasn't been used in the U.S. much for 50 years or more now (maybe since the '30's? I've only seen it in old houses, and one custom builder that was still using it a decade ago.) There are numerous types of screw anchors sold for use in drywall. I think the best is a dry wall anchor that you first drill a hole for, insert, and then tighten a screw into. You can put them anywhere, and they hold pretty good. Other people use toggle bolts, or plastic screw anchors, there's probably other choices too. Hardware stores always have these items in stock.
May 11, 2017
Jeff' has the right answer, there is also this new epoxy called green glue. It comes in tubes that fit in glue guns like liquid nails. The draw back is that it too is expensive about $225 a case of twelve. Good Luck Moskie257
May 11, 2017

Share to: