Home > categories > Construction & Real Estate > Plasterboard > old style plasterboard?

old style plasterboard?

I have some old style plasterboard in my house and I was wondering if there is any good way to smooth it out so it matches my new drywall? I'd rather not have to take it down but if it comes to that i'll do it. I am going to be texturing the new drywall. Could I just spray the texture on the old stuff and maybe hide it enough to get by?thxJoe


Its easier and cost efficient to take down the plaster and put up drywall. In the future any repairs you need you wont' have to deal with the mess and hastle. It will also give you a chance to look at any problems lying around that you can fix now. Plaster has a different texture and its thicker than drywall, so you will have a time trying to taper out the edges where its not noticable.
May 11, 2017
Absolutely, have the whole room textured at one time and then put 2 coats of Kilz on it and paint it.
May 11, 2017
My brother faced this dilemma in a house he remodeled. He ended up tearing out the lath and plaster and replacing it with sheetrock - less work than refinishing the old stuff.
May 11, 2017
You may beed to sand the rough area before texturing, hammer in nail heads and patch.
May 11, 2017

Share to: