Home > categories > Construction & Real Estate > Other Flooring > Can I use bleach on a linoleum floor?
Question:

Can I use bleach on a linoleum floor?

Can I use bleach on a linoleum floor?

Answer:

No, it shouldn't damage the floor but the only time I would bother to use bleach on a floor is if there's some reason to disinfect it, say if the dog pooped on it and you have a crawling baby around. There isn't much reason to disinfect a floor since it's meant for walking on, not eating off of. Many people apparently don't realize that bleach isn't really a cleaner but a disinfectant and doesn't remove anything oily or greasy. On a floor you are far better to use a product meant to clean floors which will clean off a variety of things that can get on floors. And these days, I would highly recommend a microfibre mop or cloth which will probably clean very well with just water and without a special cleaner of any kind. If you really feel the need to disinfect around the toilet, bleach solution will be just fine.
If you use bleach, water it down a little bit more than you normally would for anything else. Whether its linoleum or vinyl, bleach really isn t healthy for the life of your flooring product. Around the toilet, yes I would use it to disinfect simply because when you pee from a certain height above the toilet (mostly men, as women sit and don t splash) it splashes small droplets that you don t notice sometimes as much as 3 feet around the toilet. Disinfecting is a good idea. But only occasionally with bleach. It s a corrosive and not intended for routine use like many other cleaners. If you do use bleach, use plain water to rinse if off once you re done, and dry it gently with a towel. Linoleum has tiny grooves that if not dried appropriately can hold liquid and discolor it.
Clean Linoleum
No i tried this just once and the bleach took the shine of the lino .there are some really good floor cleaners out there just try looking. i get down on my hands and knees and wash the floor i was finding that by using a sponge mop that the dirt wasn't coming off the floor but spreading it around the room.
I wouldn't. Bleach mixtures, unless you take a garden hose to 'em, usually leave a sticky residue. Plus, Bleach is a corrosive, which is why it should only be used minimally. I would recommend a plain ol floor cleaner like Armstrong. Cleans and makes it shine. Without deteriorating your floor.

Share to: