Home > categories > Automotive & Motorcycle > Axles > How does a tag/pusher axle contribute to the calculation of maximum weight on roll-off or dump truck?
Question:

How does a tag/pusher axle contribute to the calculation of maximum weight on roll-off or dump truck?

If I have a truck that has a tag/pusher axle that is rated for 13200 lbs. on a truck that has 3 regular axles, how does that dead axle factor into the legal maximum weight of that truck?

Answer:

The number of axles and the tire ratings determine the maximum payload the truck can carry. Max gross weight - empty weight payload. The state DOT determines, through licensing fees, the maximum gross weight the vehicle can weigh. If your truck can carry 20 tons, but you are licensed for 15 tons, the number of axles and the tire ratings have nothing to do with the maximum weight you can legally carry. One site I visited said that 86% of the gross vehicle weight should be on the rear axle(s); the other 14% is on the front axle. And the axles and tires must be able to support their share of the load. If you have one rear axle, all 86% of that load must be supported on that one axle. With two axles and tires (tag axle is still an axle), each axle has to support 43% of the load - so, with a 2nd axle, you can almost double the payload capacity if the design of the rest of the chassis can support it also.
May 28, 2018
alot depends on your state. check with local DOT for positive answer. it will increase your max load per the distance between axles and tire rating. rate for axle is manufacture max load. dot has final say on max load of truck in your state
May 28, 2018

Share to: