Home > categories > Electrical Equipment & Supplies > Electrical Wires > Is it possible to have electrical leaks in wiring?

Is it possible to have electrical leaks in wiring?

For example if I put a screw in the wall and it goes through an electrical wire will that screw cause electrical leaks. Another example is everytyhing in house was unplugged and shut off and power meter was still running, what could be the cause?


yes and no, when it comes to comms gear between wired handsets, you can have a pull off or a leak if the wire gets wet, this happens with the emf field which is generated by flow of electrons. when you pull on the emf, you create an amperage draw, which can result in a leak. in a house, you have a lot of appliances that draw a small ammount even when off.if its an older meter, they run off detecting emf through magnets, an old trick was to put a magnet against the ones that spin and watch it slow down, or even reverse if the magnet is strong enough since it is providing an emf. and the screw on the wall will not cause a leak in itself, unless it hits a grounded object to make a return path. the insulation on wire is not like a pipe for water or gas, it does not prevent electricity in a low voltage setting( low voltage is 600 volts or lower) from escaping, it prevents it from hitting anything to ground out. in high voltage there is no insulation, because it will not stop the emf field. when these wires get wet they hum due to creating decently unnatural waves on the electromagnetic spectrum and cause the air to vibrate around it, this is also a slight drain. transfomers also hum due to the fact they are basically an emf generator and an emf catcher, with the catcher pulling whatever amperage is needed out of it to the facility it powers
ok honey, disconnect something electric powered close to the spill. turn off each and all of the lighting fixtures fixtures and something electric powered in that room yet depart on lighting fixtures fixtures from the different room. The humming noise grew to become into electrical energy making touch with the water and the clicking noise grew to become into in all probability a circuit or fuse popping. Now, what i could do is call the the hearth brigade, tell them what occurred and ask them in the event that they should deliver somebody out to take a glance and notice in case you're risk-free, and which you have been afraid something grew to become into going to capture hearth. do no longer be afraid to ask for help, that's extra advantageous which you ask and confirm which you do are risk-free. you're maximum in all probability in extra possibility of having zapped with a marvel than a fireplace beginning however the wires could desire to overheat. as quickly as each little thing dries thoroughly there is not any longer as lots possibility, yet whilst water have been given into the equipment it may desire to nevertheless be sitting there and that could desire to be somewhat risky. ok, run over to a neighbor and tell them what's occurred, ask in the event that they could come examine for you or call your hearth dept.
1.If the inserted screw touches the phase conductor, a current can flow through the body to the earth if one touches the screw with bare hand. If there is a differential device (RCD), it may trip and protect the person. 2.If the above screw makes contact with both the neutral and phase conductors at the same time, the fusible will function or the circuit breaker will trip because of over current or short circuit. 3. Even if all the loads are unplugged, there could be power consumption and the energy meter will continue to run especially in very old installations, because of deteriorated insulation of conductor wires.
Certain items draw what is known as quiescent current. Even though they are powered down, a Small amount of current flows through the device. Classic examples; ink jet printer, computer speakers, monitors.
The first answer is correct, wires won't leak if punctured, however If the screw/nail is exposed (where someone can touch it), there is a good chance you could get a (bad) shock by touching it. I assume you are talking about still using electricity with eveything unplugged/shut off. There are a couple of reasons you are still using electricity. First, a lot of things these days still use power when they are off. For instance, any remote controlled device, like TVs, VCRs, DVDs, all use power when off. You must actually unplug them before they don't use electricity (or power). Then there are the not so obvious things to find, like the plug-in power supplies (the black things that plug into the wall). Like the appliences, these still use power when plugged in, even if the device they power is off. I hope this helps.

Share to: