Home > categories > Minerals & Metallurgy > Vermiculite > old attic insulation question ?
Question:

old attic insulation question ?

old attic insulation question ?

Answer:

Asbestos can be hazrdous to your health. A few older insulations included asbestos between the 1930's and 1970's - Specifically Vermiculite insulation or Rock wool or cellulose that was combined with Vermiculite. Not all Vermiculite contained asbestos. If you are not sure what you have, you should have it tested. In my area a local medical lab can test it for about $40. Call some local medical labs and ask. Mine says the homwner can get two ziploc bags - turn one inside out and put it over your hand like a glove, grab a small handfull of the insulation and then pull the plastic bag rightside in and zip it closed, put that bag inside the other bag and zip it closed. Bring or mail that sample to the medical lab. If the results are positive then you should call a licensed experienced asbestos removal company.
It depends on what type of insulation it is. Some vermiculite has been found to contain asbestos. If it is rock or mineral wool it is very unlikely that it would have asbestos in it. Mineral/rock wool looks like white or brown loose fill fiberglass. It is messy but a great insulator. No matter what type of insulation you have it is best to wear proper personal protection. Fiberglass and even cellulose have been found to increase the risk of certain cancers. Whenever I am working in an insulated attic I wear an N100 respirator. If your house was built before 1977 there is a good chance that the drywall mud used in the wall joints contains asbestos. GP purchased Bestwall in 1965 and they used asbestos in their joint compound since the 1950s. If you are really concerned you can take a sample to a lab or have them get a sample. If you do have any asbestos in your house prepare to open up your savings account because it is a huge expense to remove asbestos.
Some does, you need to have it checked out. Rule of thumb is if you dont disturb it , it wont cause any problems. If you start moving it around then you cause problems. Very expensive to have it removed as you will have to leave the house while a hazmat crew comes in and removes it, And then you will have the cost of reinsulating
I don't see where it'd hurt any the acetic acid in it will just clean the corrosion

Share to: