Electric transformer?

Hi - I have some questions for any electrically minded people out there!I have a low-voltage 12v transformer, as pictured here:


dont worry .you cannot get a shock from 12 volt dc low wayyage long as you touch the output wires .DONT FOOL WITH THE IMPUT WIRES you cant do much damage whatever you do with the output
It makes no difference at all which wires you connect on either side of the transformer. Both wires will be AC on each side. Transformers can short (blow the fuse) or they open (don't work). To much load is usually the cause of problems.
That 'transformer` creates a 'separately derived system`. There should be no potential to ground. You can 'safe` the wires in the attic temporarily with 'wire-nuts`. (Conical plastic splice fittings.) If you're having trouble with the transformer look for: * Is the unit overloaded. (Any shorts/grounds in the L.V. wire.) * Is the unit adequately cooled. (There must be air flow at those vents.) * Is the 'high pot.` side connected properly?
What you have, in actual fact, is NOT a transformer but an electronic power supply that has been called a transformer by convention. In this situation, neutral /or live may exist. If supplying incandescent lighting (which I suspect you are), having these reversed is not a problem. Such transformers stop working for a few reasons: 1] they are too small for the load. 2] dimmers are used whereby they shouldn't be used with the type of transformer you have. 3] they are overheating due to being surrounded in thermal insulation (fibreglass etc). 4] they are of a cheap design. 5] the power supplied to them is unacceptable (voltage, waveform etc). To safely disconnect a lamp that is connected to the output of this transformer, the circuit breaker supplying the device must be switched off. If you do not wish to immediately connect anything to these bare wires, they must be insulated from any other contact. This can be achieved with the use of wire nuts (American devices), which are not permissible in Australia I dare say, also the UK (for very good reasons). The alternative to a wire nut is an insulated connector that has screws to facilitate a good connection. Once this connector has been applied correctly, it must be taped with PVC tape. Generally, this can only be done correctly by an electrician. If you are in the UK, you will have similar rules to that of Australia, whereby only qualified people can deal with such things.

Share to:

Hot Product